Friday 18 February 2011

A Call to Arms.

For the most part I enjoy the homilys at Mass.
Always without exception, they are based upon the Gospel or the readings of the day.Fine.I,like most people I guess ,sometimes need the readings explained or a new slant put upon Christ' s words in the Gospels.I have ,in the course of coming home, attended Mass in many parishes,trying to find a home for my poor (ahem,)"orthodox" self,and in each one the homliy has been as described above.
              Some times I wish, I so wish that I would hear from the Sanctuary the words I long to hear.I wish that our Priests would teach us and expound upon the Sacraments,the essential need for  confession and absolution,the reception of Holy Communion ,and how it is a mortal sin to receive when not in a state of grace.I wish that they would remind us of the Four last Things,that they would speak of the sacrifice of the Mass,and not just the joy of the Resurrection.That they would tell us that we sin,each and everyone of us,and that none of us are wholly good.I wish that they would tell the children,and parents,that it is forbidden to eat in church,that unnecessary talk before Mass is disrespectful in the House of God ,and that waving to ones friends when in the communion line shows a lack of understanding of what we are about  to do.I wish they would tell us of the great horror that is abortion, of the millions of unborn babies murdered in the womb,and that reparation is needed.
              I wish that they would spiritually arm us from the Sanctuary,inspire us with their zeal,offer us ,and lead us, in the old devotions, and make us believe in the power of prayer.We need more Masses not less,and we need to be told that the collection of huge amounts of money will not bring us new Priests.A rich diocese maybe,but surely not vocations......
A call to arms then is needed,the public prayer of the faithful,encouraged and led by our Priests.Holy hours,Benediction,Rosaries,Adoration,Forty Hours,the storming of heaven.!For the world out there is already armed against us,and the battle between good and evil has hardly begun.

Holy Michael Archangel, defend us in the day of battle,
Be our safeguard against the snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him we humbly pray,and do thou prince of the heavenly host,
thrust down to hell satan,and all wicked spirits that wander the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.
Our Lady of Walsingham pray for us.

4 comments:

TLW said...

I agree with you. I don't know if it's because priests are so bogged down with administrative duties or what, but I really wish it were the clergy and not the laity calling for more Holy Hours, etc. I just don't see that many priests leading the charge to storm Heaven and I hear a lot of excuses when I question why this is. But we must continue to pray for them, that the Holy Spirit will enlighten them and that they will be given the strength to do those things that don't seem to come easily to them, despite the fact that they're ordained and we expect more of them.

A Catholic Comes Home said...

Yes,I guess that prayer for them is specially important.I know too that there are many who are lonely,and overworked ,and having to cope with the varieties of parish life cannot be easy.
God Bless them all.

Mary Christine said...

I agree, I agree. I think we are in the minority though and the priests are working as hard as they can with what they have got - in most cases.

Richard Collins said...

I agree and that is one of the reasons why I only attend EF Masses.
Tough in your part of the world though.